Thursday, June 5, 2008

Fat Bastard

As we were driving to school on Monday morning, Sloan chirped up from the back seat after 5 minutes of silence. "Mom, can I ask you something?" "Of course," I responded. Innocent with tons of exuberance, Sloan shot out, "What does fat bastard mean?" My eyes opened up, lips parted and under my breath came a half laugh, half gasp. What 9 year old says fat bastard and where in the hell did she hear the phrase? In all of 5 seconds I thought of the cleverly named microbrew, a chubby son without a father and finally the unforgettable character in Austin Powers. Duh, Mom! Sloan recently revisited the Austin Powers trilogy with her friends Olivia, Esteban and Isaac and felt obliged to ask a question she had never before considered. Of course I gave my daughter an honest answer to her question, less the fat. So let's just say she appreciates the humor of Mike Myers, but won't be offending any fat bastards.

No comments: